Since Editor Jess is off living in the lap of luxury by means of a massive sea-faring vessel and therefore finds herself unable to pen the much heralded Events column, I figured I’d bring you my version of the events.
Many of our local readers may very well be savvy in the 140 character world of Twitter, but that doesn’t necessarily mean that they both follow all of the tweeters that I do and actually keep up with what they are saying on a daily basis. Admittedly, I find it nearly impossible myself, but today I made a point to sift through all the bird calls and pull out a few of the Seattle area events and/or beers on tap that may interest you all.
Let me know if you find this helpful or simply redundant by leaving a comment below. Have a great week and drink good beer!
Latona Pub (@latonapub) in Greenlake has the following on tap (as of 1/31/11):
Port Townsent Nitro Stout
Roslyn Dark Lager
Sierra Nevada Hoptimum
Full Sail LTD 4 Pale
Hale’s Wee Heavy
Firestone Walker Union Jack
New Belgium Vrienden
Silver City Whoop Ass
Super Deli Mart (@superdelimart) in West Seattle (9051 35th Ave SW) has Oskar Blues G’Knight Imperial Red and Flyers Hop Duster IPA on tap as of 1/31/11.
It’s most likely a joke, but Iron Horse Brewing (@ironhorsebeer) of Ellensburg claims to be releasing a beer called Double Rainbow Ale inspired by the impossibly hilarious YouTube video that went viral last year. Check it out here.
The Toronado (@toronado), an absolutely epic beer bar in San Francisco, is having a special event on 2/18/11 for the release of Pliny the Younger. Yes, that is during San Fran’s annual Beer Week, but this, most likely means that we should see kegs in the Seattle market either slightly before that or around the same time. Are you ready?
This Wednesday at the 74th St. Alehouse (via @twobeersbrewing) in Phinny – Two Beers Brewing will be providing a very special cask of Evo IPA. Here are the details from their Facebook page:
Wednesday Night: 74th St. Alehouse Cask of Double Dry-Hopped (Simcoe, Amarillo, Sorachi Ace, Centenniel) Evo. IPA. We also threw in some D’Anjou Pears and Pink Lady Apples to help with the secondary fermentation. Uhhh, you won’t want to miss this one of a kind beer.
That sounds redonculous!
Elliot Bay Brewing (@elliotbay_beer)will be sending out two barrel-aged beers today, one “Sour” to the West Seattle location and a “Bourbon Stout” to Burien. I would highly recommend checking these out if you are able.
The Porterhouse Pub (via @diamondknot) in West Seattle is hosting a Super Bowl party/fundraiser in conjunction with Beer Church that will feature brews from Diamond Knot, Port Townsend and Georgetown. For more details please check out this site. Go to this!
This Friday, 2/4/11, at 5pm, Cooper’s Alehouse (@coopersalehouse) in Maple Leaf will be hosting a 5 year vertical tasting of Sierra Nevada’s Celebration Ale. You can order a tasting tray and try all 5 side by side. If there are any beer aging naysayers out there, get you ass out to this event and see what age can do for yourself. They also have Sierra’s Bigfoot Barleywine on tap (as of Sunday).
As of Sunday night, Naked City (@nakedcitybeer) had Fish Brewing’s 10 Squared Barleywine on tap. If it’s still on, it won’t be for long. They also have Sierra Nevada’s Hoptimum and Snipes Zombie Killer.
Apparently, Grandfather Raven, Black Raven’s Imperial Stout, is still on tap at the brewery’s taproom (as of Sunday, via @seattlebeerclub) .
A quick shout out to something unrelated to beer. Congrats to the New Orleans Saints for their incredible season and Super Bowl win. New Orleans is a city close to Beer Blotter’s heart and we couldn’t be happier. So a toast in honor of a team and city well deserving of a celebration. WHO DAT?? And now, without further ado, your weekly beer events.
Monday, February 8, 2010
Jolly Pumpkin Madrugada Obscura Release Party: Ann Arbor, Michigan
6:00PM @ Jolly Pumpkin Cafe and Brewery
Be one of the first beer drinkers to taste this stout by Jolly Pumpkin tonight at 6:00PM. Madrugada stands for “Dark Dawn”, and this Belgian inspired stout is as dark as a moonless midnight, and brimming with roasted malts and bitter hops. This beer is seasonal, so get it while it lasts!
New Belgium Beer Tasting: Greenville, South Carolina
7:00PM-9:00PM @ Brixx Wood Fired Pizza
This tasting will feature New Belgium‘s spring seasonal Mighty Arrow, newly released Ranger IPA, 1554 Black beer, and of course Fat tire. Enjoy all of these with a few snacks while New Belgium’s local rep talks about the brewery and answer some questions.
Tuesday, February 9, 2010
Russian River ‘tion Night: San Fransisco, California
6:00PM-12:00PM @ Toronado
Stop by San Fran’s legendary beer bar and indulge in all the goodness Russian River Brewing Co. has to offer. Beers such as (this is not official, just an assumption, so call 415.863.2276 if your looking for a specific brew) Publication, Consecration, Deviation, Damnation, Sanctification, Supplication….Temptation. Seriously if only 3 of those beers are on tap, its worth the trip.
Smuttynose Tasting: Hooksett, New Hampshire
4:30PM-7:30PM @ Berts Better Beers
On the docket for tonight, Smuttynose Brewing Co.’s Big A, Baltic Porter, Wheat Wine, Barleywine and (hopefully) the Imperial Stout. We recently had the Wheat Wine and it is AMAZING. GO THERE, DRINK BEER, REPORT BACK!
Wednesday, February 10, 2010
Stone Brewing Co. Cask Tasting and Meet and Greet: Washington, DC
6:00PM-10:00PM @ Birch and Barley
What to expect on cask tonight from Stone Brewing Co.? LEVITATION ALE; SMOKED PORTER; ARROGANT BASTARD. Done, Done and Done.
St. Bernardus Beer Dinner: Tampa, Florida
7:00PM-9:00PM @ Mr. Dunderbak’s
Not only will you be able to taste amazing food and sample St. Bernardus beers, you will be able to meet the brewer, Marco in from Belgium. Lamb, mussels, salad and brie tarts will grace the menu tonight. The Witbier, Triple, Prior 8 and Apt 12 will be paired with the delicious menu.
Thursday, February 11, 2010
Meet the Brewers of New Old Lompoc Brewing Co.: Portland, Oregon
6:00PM-8:00PM @ Green Dragon
Join all the New Old Lompoc brewers: Dave “Chowdah” Fleming, Bryan Kielty, Zach Beckwith, Sam Orlansky and Jerry Fechter for a meet the brewers session.
Some Like it Hop: Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
6:00PM-8:00PM @ Allegheny HYP Club
The tasting includes beer samples, gourmet appetizers prepared by Chef Shawn, and a presentation on the selected beers. The cost to attend is $15 per person. Please RSVP for the event at the Malt Daddy website. Featured beers include: Troeg’s Nugget Nectar; Weyerbacher Double Simcoe IPA; Dogfish Head Olde School Barleywine and Victory Old Horizontal Barleywine.
Friday, February 12, 2010
Launch of Midnight Sun Brewing Co.: San Fransisco, California
6:00PM-9:00PM @ City Beer Store
California Beer Week continues into the weekend with a launch party for Midnight Sun Brewing Co. Although the beers are not listed, even on City Beer Store’s website, draft and bottle products will be available! This brewery has so many great beers, you really cannot go wrong!
Sour Ale Tasting: Aliso Viejo, California
6:00PM-8:00PM @ Pacific Park Market
CHECK THIS OUT—-> Jolly Pumpkin La Roja; Russian River Supplication (batch 4); Russian River Consecration (batch 3); Bruery Oude Tart; Russian River Beatification and Weyerbacher Riserva. Its only $5 per person to enjoy all of these amazing sour beers. Don’t miss out!
Saturday, February 13, 2010
Big Woody 2010: Brooklyn, New York
11:00AM- 12:00PM @ Spuyten Duyvil
Bottles, Drafts and Casks…this event is not only at a extremely cool beer bar in BK, it features some AMAZING beers. For the full list, go to Beer Advocates’ website or click here. Here is a glimpse into the epic beer drinking that those of you in attendance will endure (oh yea, these beers are all 10% and above- enjoy): from the tap-Mikkeller Black (17.5%, Denmark); In Gravity Poured Wooden Barrels-Schneider Aventinus Weizen-Eisbock (12%, Germany) and on the bottle list-Brooklyn Black Ops 2008 (10.7%-Brooklyn, NY, USA). Make sure to store the cab company’s number in your phone before going to this event!
Strong Ale Fest: Boyertown, Pennsylvania
12:15PM- 12:15AM @ Union Jack’s Inn On The Manatawny
Similarly themed to the above event, this Strong Ale Fest will feature beers all 10% and higher….so keep that in mind when your throwing ’em back tonight. A few of the beers available for these 12 hours include, Dogfish Head World Wide Stout 18%; Founders Black Biscuit Barrel Aged Porter 11% and Lost Abbey Angels Share 12%.
February 14, 2010
Valentine’s Day Beer Dinner: Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
6:00PM- 8:00PM @ Hawthornes
We cant think of a better way to show your love for another than with and among amazing beers. Tonight at Hawthornes, celebrate your love with three courses and the following beers, Southern Tier 07 Choklat; Kasteel Rouge; Rosee d’ Hibiscus (Dieu Du Ciel) and Bells Oaked Aged Two-Hearted Ale. All for $60.00/person. Call (215) 627-3012 for reservations!
Have a Heart for Haiti: Bellingham, Washington
11:00AM-9:00PM @ Boundary Bay Brewing Co.
Ribeye Steak with Wort Compound Butter, Sea Bass in Pappilote, and Mussels in Spicy Red Sauce with Chorizo are just a few of the Special menu choices for Valentines Day. The menu will be available at 5pm along with our regular menu choices. Tables set for two and Music sets by The Mt Baker Toppers starting at 6pm and 7pm. Reservations are recommended. Servers will be donating a portion of their tips & all the proceeds from our Have a Heart dessert will go the Red Cross.
So have a great week, give some love to Haiti, give that someone special a big kiss and drink great beer! If you go to an event, would like us to report on an event or just want to spread the BB love, leave a comment or email us at email@example.com
Its the first of the month, its still winter, its still cold. Let beer warm your soul. Here are your events for the first week of February.
Monday, February 1, 2010
IPAlooza 2010: Willoughby, Ohio
4:30PM- 4:30 AM @ Ballantine
Today marks the first day of 28 days of rare IPAs. 28 IPA will be on tap for the entire month of February. Those who manage to try all 28 by the end of the month will be invited to the “wrap-up party” in March. Rare IPA’s include: Stone Sublimely Self Righteous, Urthel Hop-it, Founder’s Double Trouble, Stone/Brewdog Bashah, Brooklyn Blast and more.
Lagunitas Beer Dinner: Jacksonville, Florida
6:30PM – 10:30 PM @ Kickbacks Gastropub
8 courses of food and 21, yes 21, beer pairings from Lagunitas Brewery. $49.00 per person plus 20% gratuity and tax will leave you satisfied and a little tipsy (or even drunk). Some of the tap beers featured include: Cappuccino Stout, 2007, 2008, 2010 Old Gnarleywine and Dogtown Pale Ale. Vintage bottles will also be served during the dinner. Call 904-388-9551 and pay with credit card over the phone or pay with cash upon arrival.
Tuesday, February 2 2010
Beer Appreciation Night-Belgium Winter Warmers: Brea, Caifornia
7:00PM-9:00PM@ BJ’s Restaurant and Brewery
This is going to kick off one of many Beer Appreciation Nights for 2010. Tonight, the Belgium Winters will include: Fantome de Noel, St. Bernardus Christmas Ale, ‘t Smisje Kerst, Corsendonk Christmas Ale, and any more. Plus, some of the last of BJ’s Annual Grand Cru will be poured for this tasting!
Founder’s Brewing Co. Tasting: Dayton, Ohio
4:00PM-10:00PM @ South Park Tavern
Come and enjoy all this amazing brewery has to offer. You can’t go wrong with, Double Trouble IPA, Red’s Rye, Dirty Bastard, and more!
Wednesday, February 3, 2010
Meet the Brewer- Weyerbacher Brewing Co.: Quakertown, Pennsylvania
7:00PM-9:ooPM @ Spinnerstown Hotel
Enjoy four beers from Weyerbacher Brewing Co. paired with opulent culinary creations prepared by Chef Karl. $40.00 per person. For more details on what beers will be poured, call (215) 536-7242.
Brewdog Tasting: New Haven, Connecticut
7:00PM-8:00PM @ Prime 16
Brewdog is an innovative brewery out Scotland. Brewdog beer will be available both on draft and cask. Expect to see Dogma, Punk, and Hardcore to try and buy. Many more will be rotating throughout the rest of the month.
Thursday, February 4, 2010
Meet the Brewer of New Old Lompoc Portland, Oregon
6:00PM-8:00PM @ Belmont Station
Meet New Old Lompoc Brewers Dave “Chowdah” Fleming and Zach Beckwith and get a sneak taste of the Bourbon Barrel aged LSD (LSD was brewed in May of last year then aged in Bourbon barrels for five months and cellared for an additional three. It has a malty body with slight raisin and vanilla flavors), as well as Barrel aged Doppelbock, LSD, Proletariat Red, and C-note IPA. Imperial Coffee Stout will be on draft.
Clipper City Holy Sheet Cask: Leesburg, Virginia
5:00PM- 9:00 PM @ Fireworks Pizza
Come grab some tasty pizza and drink Clipper City’s Abbey Ale on cask. Holy Sheet is only available during February and March, so it is VERY limited!
Friday, February 5, 2010
Pliny the Younger Release Day: Santa Rosa, California
11:00 AM – 11:45 PM @ Russian River Brewing Co.
Collaboration Not Litigation Ale- Tapping Party & Vertical Tasting Party: Boulder, Colorado
5:00PM-8:00 PM @ Avery Brewing Co.
Today will mark the release of Batch #4 of Collaboration Not Litigation. Come celebrate the fruitful relationship between Avery Brewing and Russian River Brewing. Rob Rosser will be on hand serving his famous fish tacos at $4.00 a piece. Be the first to experience this batch and if you do, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org!
Saturday, February 6, 2010
Chocolate and Beer Festival: Richmond, California
2:00PM-6:00PM @ The Craneway Pavillion
6 chocolatiers and 6 local breweries will present multiple product samplings with live entertainment and raffle prizes. Advance tickets are $18.00 and $25.00 at the door with $5.00 parking. Click here to purchase tickets.
A Celebration of All Things Coffee, Chocolate and Things Aged in Barrels: Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
2:00PM-2:00AM @ The Institute
What an amazing combination of items! The Institute’s chef will cook up some spectacular specials including sweet and savory items along with some vegetarian items. Aged beers will include, Wyerbacher Barrel Aged Heresy, Founders Backwoods Bastard, Allagash Curieux and Bells Java Stout (among others).
Sunday, February 6, 2010
Beer Appreciation 101: San Jose, California
5:00PM-7:00PM @ Wine Affairs
Learning about beer and the different styles will increase your appreciation of the many micro brews around the world. Expect a general overview of the brewing process and how the basic ingredients used in brewing affect a beer’s flavor. Develop your beer vocabulary while tasting beers that exemplify certain characteristics of each basic ingredient. Contact Wine Affairs at 408-977-0111 to make your reservation today!
Lost Abbey and Port Brewing Night: San Fransisco, California
6:00PM-2:00AM @ Toronado
So that’s that. Whats done is done. Oh and GO SAINTS!!!!
As always, if you go to an event, want to go to an event, want to promote an event or discuss a beer you had at an event, leave a comment or email us at email@example.com. Cheers!
So……Friday is the day where we will be introducing the Taplist – an adventure into America’s top tap lists. Beer Blotter did a survey (no we didnt), and we tallied the votes (certainly did not) and we decided in unanimity (eh…maybe) that there are 8 epic beer cities in the U.S. of A.
Chicago, New York, Philadelphia, Seattle, Portland, San Diego, San Francisco, and Denver won out. Thus, they will be routinely displayed here every Friday (morning from now on) so that you know where to go to get a beer in your city, your vacation spot, the place where work stuck you with that guy, the place you got stuck on a layover, the place your in-laws live and you tentatively visit, and/or the place you bought that stuff from that dude that knew that chick.
We will try to get to all 8 cities each week…but this week we only get to 6.
And now for the list……
- The Map Room – Updated 12/11/09 – Founder’s Red Rye Ale is up and seriously lacking a response in the beer community. The reviews are spicy with a great caramel balance. Worth a look. Also, appearing are Cleveland’s Great Lakes Edmund Fitzgerald, Montreal’s McAuslan St. Ambroise Oatmeal Stout (99 on RateBeer), Sierra Nevada/Dogfish Life & Limb (10.2% with maple syrup and birch) – best for last Three Floyds Alpha Klaus (beer of the month = $4)
- The Publican – Get the pig ears. order beer. Green’s Quest is brewed at Mikkeller’s De Proef Brouwerij (8.5% tripel); the list has Port Brewing’s Panzer Imperial Pilz and Older Viscosity (taste like hot pretzels – 2nd at Big Wood); you might want to save your cash and get a Matilda from Goose Island, a beer full of funky yet citrusy belgian flavor while adding a smooth but strong hoppy note.
- The Hopleaf – Updated 12/11/09 – they win for today’s list. The list includes localites Tyranena Rocky’s Revenge (Barrel Aged Brown), Bell’s Two Hearted Ale (quintessential IPA), Two Brothers Heavy Handed IPA (wet hop!), Metropolitan Generator Dopplebock (who makes these? – 8.2% is just right), Half Acre Magnus Schwartz and Point Brewing Cascade Pale Ale. But the show stoppers here are (a) Stone/Brewdog Bashah (8.6%, get this – Black. Belgian. Double IPA – i love these guys) and (b) Goose Island Pere Jacques (9% – banana monster that will turn you upside down)
- Ginger Man – Weyerbacher Quad. enough said. This went up today. Also going up are Abita Christmas Ale (New Orleans favorite), and Smuttynose Big A IPA; but the king has to be Harpoon’s Leviathan Imperial IPA – we sampled this down in New Orleans and were floored. This is an extremely well bittered IPA with perfect smooth sugars. The beer is comparable to Ruination.
- Rattle N Hum – Updated 12/9/09 – Woo. Wow. 40 taps and 4 Dark Star (England) Casks. This list is incredible – we will just rattle them off: Allagash Burnham Road, Smuttynose Finest Kind Kind (2x IPA – no ratings – rare as hell), Captain Lawrence Freshchester Pale, Dogfish Head Burton Baton (2x IPA), Stone Sublimely Self Righteous, Southern Tier Old Man Winter, Brooklyn Back Breaker, and Sixpoint Otis – – but the champs are here Brooklyn Monster ’07 and Cigar City Hunaphu (got to love the NY and FL connection – thank NYC shitty taxes and FL no taxes) . Hunu is a RateBeer Top 50, aged in cigar box wood and severely limited in production. Get it now.
- Monk’s Cafe – East Coasters – they still have Port Brewing High Tide – go get it. Its your last amazing taste of fresh hops for the season. You want a Belgian – get the Nogne O Tiger Trippel.
- Eulogy – Austria’s favorite is Samichlaus (14%) Dopplebock, aged for 10 months and ready for the Holidays. Very rare on tap. The Belgians here are the fare; there are plenty you will like.
- Toronado – Updated 12/11/09 – Unlike the SF version, these guys maintain an ever changing tap list online. Holiday beers on parade. Today you can grab a Lost Abbey Gift of the Magi. This beer is biblical in theme and in effect. An incredible Biere De Garde that has been reviewed as having “hints of egg nog” – really? They also have Mikkeller’ Santa’s Little Helper 2009, Oggi’s- Freakin’ Awsome (SD brewer with some amazing IPAs), Port Brewing Santa’s Little Helper, and Santa Cruz Mountain’s Ginger’s Winter Warmer
- Stone Bistro – Stone Brewing’s own brewpub/bistro has probably the most consistently-impressive tap list in the city. Right now you can grab any of Stone’s brews, including Stone Sublimely Self-Righteous Ale, as well as Avery duganA (one of the more impressive new 2x IPAs), a winter ale offering from Bootleggers of Fullerton, CA, and Mission Brewing’s Armada Imperial IPA (collaboration with San Diego Brewing @ 9.2%). We would love to try and get our hands on that Mission offering.
- Toronado – These guys do not keep an updated taplist. But, they do have a pleasant surprise for you – Speakeasy is holding an Old Godfather Release Party today at this pub. This beer is a tasty caramel barleywine (10.2%). But the versions on tap today will be Barrel-Aged and extra special.
- The Trappist – OK OK we know its in Oakland, but this bar is incredible. They are hold KerstBier Festival right now, with some amazing Belgians. De Struise Tsjeeses (10%), Mikkeller To From, and Brouwerij De Regenboog‘s Catherine the Great Stout.
- Latona – UPDATED 12/12/09 – They just put up their new tap list. Big Time Malaprop 8 is very intriguing. This abbey style ale (7.2%) has excellent reviews and an interesting spiced malt. Check this beer out.
- Naked City Taphouse – UPDATED all the time. Naked City’s use of Twitter has been an excellent tool for beer lovers. Now you can be sure to know what is running on their taps at all time. Its a must follow. Right now they are pouring Speakeasy Brewer’s Reserve Old Godfather, Snipes Diminished Returns Double IPA and Diamond Knot Industrial Ho Ho. We were especially impressed with Snipes’ 2x IPA. The beer is not too bitter, very floral and extremely smooth, while maintaining a high alcohol content (9%). Snipes has been getting a lot of attention for hoppy beers over the past year. Take a trip to Greenwood people!
- Brouwer’s Cafe – UPDATED 12/11/09 – Brouwers put some good beers on last night, notifying us via Twitter.
Let us know if we are missing something. Next week expect to see a post about all 8 cities!